Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dude....you were CHICKED in the Crowsnest Pass

So I'm out riding yesterday in the HOT SUN (WHEEEEE!!) and my main set was 5x5 min HARD Oly pace followed by 3 min easy. I was on my fourth set and noticed a cyclist up ahead.

Now this is a remarkable thing because very rarely do I see any local person cycling. Very rarely. Like I've said before, the guys you see on a bike usually have a cigarette hanging out of their mouths and two Safeway shopping bags draped over the handlebars to pick up empty cans and bottles out of the ditch.

Back to my story...I was rapidly approaching said cyclist during my hard set. The clock ticked over and it was time for 3 min easy. I could see that my easy pace was his pace -- the distance between us remained the same, so I knew that when I started my final 5 min HARD, I would blow by him.

Well, it turns out the dude was one of those "Mr. I-will-not-be-passed-by-a-chick" guys. Sigh.


Yeah, I'm cute AND faster than you suckah!!!


I started my final set and went to pass him yelling, "Coming by on your left!" The dude actually stood up on his pedals and tried to accelerate. I was like WTF?!?!?! We are on the fricking shoulder of a highway and he's trying to *race* me? Oh PLEASE!

I blew by him and then forgot about him...

Finished my 3 min easy and then had 10 min cool down -- I went past my house, and decided to go 5 minutes up the highway, then turn around and come back. Little did I know that Mr. Dude was working himself into a lather...

I was taking it really easy, cooling down, and saw that there was an opening in traffic and thought now would be a good time to turn around. I looked behind me to make sure there was no other traffic and BUDDY was on my a$$. I had to swerve closer on the shoulder and WAIT for him to go. As he goes by, he says uncertainly, "On your left."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! He must have hammered himself to try and *catch* me --- and he passes me when I am barely moving and trying to turn around --- Oh man, I couldn't believe the testosterone plume coming from his helmet...it rivaled the volcano in Iceland I swear. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Onto other news....

My nasty cold has just about left the building -- fortunately I was able to train through it, literally under the watchful eye if my coach. (Made it easy when I stayed with her for a week and a half! Hee-hee!) I didn't realize how depleted my body was from fighting off that infection until the day of my 6 hour HILLY ride....

6 hours of Victoria hills.

Not the little road bumps called the Road to Nepal. Oh no, these are real hills, my friends.

This ride has gone down in the history books as the ride of the 7 Snickers and two bags of chips.


Because that is how much I ate during those 6 hours. Plus gatorade. Oh. My. God. And I ran 30 min afterward too!

I was so alarmed with my intake of food that I immediatey told my coach how much I had eaten -- she was the one who explained my body must be so depleted. Because I never eat like that. Oh man -- and I had Snickers belly for a couple of days afterward too. Fortunately, a half bag of cherries on the loooooong drive back from Victoria expedited their departure from my body...



Let's see....

I made up a song for my man on the way home too. For those of you who don't know already, my Mike is also known as The Bun. I made up three verses to the tune of "King of the Road" and *my* song is entitled "Bun's on the Road!" (He works in the oil industry so he's always driving a lot. Hee-hee!)

I was so excited to sing it to him -- and he was so impressed; I have to leave a message on his cell phone and sing it so he can have it. Hahahahahahaah!!!

I also got The Bunler this for his birthday...



SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

11 comments:

Susi said...

having ridden in the pass...i can just imagine what it was like seeing another ACTUAL cyclist!! and the fact that he was one of THOSE riders is all the more hilarious. very cool you chicked him, LOL.

hope you have recovered from cherries and snickers LOL. yikes!

Jenna said...

Seven snickers ride - ha ha ha.... I amnow at the point in my training where I wake at night to EAT! this cannot end well.

Way to chick the A$$HOLE

Runner Leana said...

Julie, that story is HILARIOUS!!!! Way to chick that dude....men are so funny. And a 7 Snickers ride? Wow! I had one Snickers on my ride on Saturday and I know what that did to my belly, so thankfully you had some cherries to sort you out.

Thanks so much for all of your great comments Julie. They mean so much to me. You really give great advice and pep talks!!

Sparfy said...

awesome on your ride! that is a pretty fun moment. :-)

reminds me of an old saying something like "somewhere someone is practicing and when you meet that person, he will beat you." and you were the one that had been practicing and getting strong and fast. and someone met YOU! :-))

and i tell this to *everyone* but as far as i can tell, nobody ever ( other than the resa ) listens... take a gram of vit C every day. it has been about 5 years since i was sick. and i was sick all the time when i started. probably 4-6 colds a year and none in 5 years. ... ... take. vitamin. C. ( every day ) :-)

Sparfy said...

OMG! i found they guys video of you blasting him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw

Julie said...

Sparfy -- LMAO!!!! Hahahahahaha!!! You know what? I do take Vitamin C every day, but I am going to check right now to see how many mg it is......OK, it is 1000 mg. So at least that is the right amount, eh? :)

I knew I was going to have to be careful -- I had just finished a big 25 hour training camp week (at the end of a three week solid block of training to boot), then finished it off with a half Ironman.

Maybe I should have upped my vitamin C during that time...Hmmmm.......Or maybe I should have just eaten a Snickers? LMAO!!!!

Kelly B. said...

Wow!
I had to explain the term "chicked" to Matthew (age 7). He was chicked big time at his hockey scrimmage last week...a little girl beat him to the puck every time and took it away from him every time...I told him he was "chicked". And then had to explain the word to him...he's only 7 an ddoesn't get why its a big deal that a girl beat him...

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope this guy was still 50km from his finishing location, riding in misery cause he blew his engine, and YOU, way to rock the ride, your a rockstar and 7 snickers made me giggle.

KK said...

"Little did I know that Mr. Dude was working himself into a lather.."

Ha ha ha well put, my friend! I love that you showed him who's boss. And I hate it when men have to do that-soooo annoying, Just ride your own pace dude, it's annoying to have to "contend" with someone on a ride.

You rock, sistah-can't wait for C'DA-you are gonna kick its booty!!!

Cath said...

Hahaha - you go get 'em :))

Heather said...

hahahaha, love this post, came across your blog randomly, but holy frijoles I felt like I was having deja vu reading this - I train with a pack of dudes who will bust a nut just to make sure I don't beat them - at anything! Es bueno I say, cause come race day they generally get a good beat down :) lol