My training block in Arizona is sadly coming to an end. :( BOO!
As usual, I've had an enormous number of adventures while I've been here (besides the regular ole training stuff).
For your reading pleasure, Tucson, Arizona 2012 in bullet points:
- Went to an Urgent Care Clinic to take care of a brutal chest infection/sinus/bronchitis. We went to a hospital first and we were not there 2 minutes when a woman came running in and slapped the glass (dividing the hospital staff from clients) yelling: "Please help me, I've been shot in my arm!" Holy shit she had been shot in her shoulder and there was blood all over!!!
- The random drunk guy out in the middle of the desert walking on the shoulder we had to cycle around. There was no town in sight, I have no idea how this guy got there or where he was going.
- Incidents like this are the most likely reason behind Tucson being known as "Dirty T."
- Yesterday I cycled for 3 hours with 4 female pros: 2 are Ironman Champions, 2 consistently place in the top 5. I had an episode of giddiness brought about by sheer exhaustion afterwards.
- After this bike ride, I ran 5x1km intervals with Sara -- it was during the 2nd interval when I started counting seconds on my fingers that Sara told me, "I'm worried about your state of mind, you should take off your shirt." It was hot out, and I was still wearing the black long sleeve shirt and tights I rode in. It was hilarious -- as soon as I took it off I felt so much better. LMAO.
- The 3 hour bike ride was an "easy" one for said pros. They commented afterwards, "you were quiet! You weren't that talkative today!" NO SHIT!! LMAO!!!
- After the 3 hour ride, Sara said, "Come with me." Good God, I had to do 30 more minutes of intervals. I had been doing 3 hours of intervals already. LOL.
- I didn't have to mortgage my house when I went to the Urgent Care Clinic -- it only cost $120.
- I got lost running on the trails in the desert. Twice. Eeeep. Rachel was racing a duathlon just outside Phoenix and Sara and I decided to run for 1 hour 20 min before the race started. I got confused and ended up coming out at the beginning of the mountain bike course -- lol. Right before the racers started coming thank God. Ran a bit extra that morning. Hahaha.
- Linsey Corbin knows where the Crowsnest Pass is and knows of the big green mining truck in Sparwood. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just about spit out my dinner. LMAO!
- My Paleo diet went right out the window as my training hours doubled -- and I have been catching the abuse ever since. LOL. I shoveled copious amounts of every kind of food into my mouth.
- Exhaustion is no excuse for missing a session -- This is what Sara told me yesterday: "You look like death warmed up. Oh well, that excuse doesn't fly here." LMAO!
- More headway in swimming!! If I engage my ovaries (I am serious this is exactly what it feels like -- LMAO) I *catch* the water. So this is my new mantra: Engage the ovaries.
- Watching Rachel come in 3rd at the Desert Duathlon. YAY RACHEL!!!
- The grocery store is called Fry's not Fru's. lol -- the "y" is stubby. Heh-heh-heh.
There are many, many other things that went on, but most things are of the "you had to be there" kind of vibe.
Thank you to Sara and Rachel who were so gracious and wonderful and patient with me (especially when we were out cycling in the middle of nowhere and everyone had a cell phone, except me...eeep.). And for their efforts in teaching me how to ride in a pack. (I'm still a chicken, but getting better.)
When I was sick as a dog, Rachel chauffeured me all around Tucson (we were gone for hours) in search of a doctor and then a 24 hour pharmacy (because these things ALWAYS happen on Sunday at 5:00pm.)
Let the season begin!!!
Julie :) xxxxxxoooooooooo