Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Mom, My Hero!

What a difference five weeks can make...

Five weeks ago my Mom slipped and fell on some ice and fractured her hip. She was rushed to the city where she got a hip replacement later that evening. Today, she went to the hairdresser's where she showed off how all the physio exercises have paid off. She walked UP the stairs BY HERSELF.

Red Cross loaned her a walker, a big raised toilet seat, and a bath bench for three months. When she went around town yesterday, she didn't use her walker or a cane!! SHE ROCKS!!!!!!!!

She amazes me -- I have seen people with far less severe injuries whine and moan about how this hurts or that hurts (ie myself included. LOL!) Her scar is about 18 inches long and was held together with staples. She was in so much pain, but she fought and gritted her way through it. She has been doing her exercises 4 times a day and obviously the work is paying off!

The hairdressers at the salon and their clients were all mightily impressed with my Mom. My Mom felt especially proud when another woman came in with a cane -- she had a VERY difficult time walking...and she had a hip replacement 8 WEEKS ago!! Hee-hee!!

Who knew my Mom was that competitive? Now she is even more motivated to heal and improve!

11 comments:

Keith said...

Yay!! So nice to hear. Next thing you know she'll be out trying to keep up with you! Better watch out.

And now we know where you get your grit from.

Charlie Browne said...

I see a long line of tuff ladies in your family chain!!

Cath said...

Excellent news - give her a hug from me and Jase - you've every right to be proud of her and she of herself too I hope ?!

Jenna said...

Recovery that is so successful really is inspiring!! Down with the canes.... way to go Mommy!!

KK said...

Congrats to your mom, what a champ!

Susi said...

why is your mom being tuff not a surprise to me??? oh i know...because i know what her daughter is like!!! haha.

so glad to hear that she's doing well and so quickly. big hugs to her.

kelsey said...

like mom like daughter! Im so happy to hear good news!

now we need phone date!!

Kelly B. said...

Way to go Julie's mom!!
I actually wrote a poem for your mom and thought it had posted but it did not...sucks...and now I cannot remember it all like it was the first time!!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

new to your site, the dolphin cow jumping photo is the cutest!

Jason said...

I've said it before, your mum is amazing! Say "hi" from me!

Amy said...

That's so exciting and inspiring. No doubt you get your competitive edge from her. Job well done, Mom!