Thursday, April 10, 2008

Olympic advice

The word on the streets (of Sparwood that is), is that my swimming rock star is actually an ex-Olympian from South Africa. I don't have the whole story yet --I'm going to ask her on Friday -- but apparently she was headed for the Olympics when a boycott or some such thing prevented her from actually competing. WOW!!!! Yesterday's swimming session was so very awesome!! Char taught me (more specifically, TRIED to teach me LOL!!) how to do this dolphin kick thing. Two quick kicks and one really hard one all while smoothly bobbing up and down like an eel or other water creature. Well, my version of it didn't look anything like it!! I kept kicking my legs at the same time (Jenna and Kelly-- that is like the butterfly kick, right?) but my upper body wasn't diving down. The only way I can describe it is: How in the 80's my sister and I would fool around and try to do "The Worm." Anyways, this kicking thing is my next goal!

My workout consisted of: 8 x 200 with 30 sec rest. I swam the first 4 sets by swimming easy for the white rope portion of the lane divider, then fast for the blue portion, then easy again for the white. For the last set of 4, I reversed it so I I would swim really fast into the wall and do a quickie flip turn. My shoulders and arms were burning by the end of this and after each 200, I was just gasping. Apparently, this is normal --I never knew that the rest in between sets was to recover like that!! LOL!! Give me a break --I'm not a swimmer!! LOL!!

Core work was next and then later on I biked for 60 minutes on the Athens Olympic course. I sure do love my Computrainer!!! :) :) :)

Oh yeah -- We took the baby girls out for a walk yesterday and I tentatively tried running -- only about 6 meters but it feels completely normal. The swelling is gone --I can see my ankle bones again --Yay!! I am going to give it until Sunday though just in case. Then I'll try 30 minutes. Oooooohhh -- I can't wait to run again! And, it is supposed to be in the 20's on Sunday. I'm going to be in heaven!!!

4 comments:

Susi said...

i'm old enough to remember the worm!! i'm pretty sure i even attempted it, haha. how brilliant you get to work with this gal - it'll be a rewarding experience for sure.

kelsey said...

I feel the same way when I attempt the dolphin kick!

That's so cool that you got hooked with this gal! You'll be a swimmer in no time!

Jenna said...

dolphin kick is the kick used in butterfly ... and I use to be able to do the worm :) but I also use to be able to touch my toes ....oh how time changes things....

Shannon Wicks said...

Dude, you are going to kick some serious ass'age in the water under the tutilage of an Olympian.